Sunday, December 23, 2007

Medevac

So early this morning instead of sleeping in on the towns day off I got a 6 am wakeup that I would have to go to work. It seems some idiot at the south pole station got drunk, started a fight and got his jaw broken. The story is that this is not this persons first alcohol problem. So they are going to spend about $250,000 to bring him home. He is currently en route from the pole, he will then land here and get a helicopter ride into town where they will treat him at the hopital here. Then another helo ride back out to the airfield where they will ship him back to Christ Church.

Now the rumor mill is turning. The rumor mill is working overtime. The stories have already begun to float around about how they will make the station dry, they will fire those caught drinking, blah blah. We'll see. I have observed that the rumor mill down here works exactly like this: wild speculation -> rumor-> certain fact. For example I could speculate that Santa Clause might come to town (wild speculation), the next person will say that they have heard Santa will come to town (rumor), by the time it gets back to me I will be told that Santa is indeed coming to town (certain fact). The rumor mill is also good at combining different events into one grandiose story. Over thanksgiving a hole was put into one of the walls in the dorm and the fire department showed up to look at a girl who was not feeling well. Two unrelated events. I know this because it happened in my hall. But later that day someone told me they had heard (rumor) that a girl had gathered up a big head of steam, while unconscionably intoxicated mind you, and plowed head first into the wall. She was injured beyond repair and was to be sent home. 'Thats what happened?' I asked. 'Yes, thats the story' was replied (certain fact).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Matt,

Sounds like small town stuff happening down there. I thought these folks were intelligent. Well, don't let yourself get caught up in the trailer-park events. :)

Happy Holidays!

John